Victoria’s capital, Melbourne, is layered when it comes to things to do. There is the obvious things; the amazing zoo and aquarium, the famous Chapel Street shopping strip and of course all the wonders that Federation Square, Melbourne Park and the MCG have to offer. Behind all these, there is an alternative Melbourne, the Melbourne local’s experience. So here are five activities, to get you exploring the much loved city from a slightly different, more realistic, perspective.
- Located in Collingwood just of Smith Street, The People Markets offers a fresh vibe with music, craft stalls and DIY workshops. Great coffee is available from 8am for morning people, and a bar offering cocktails till the later hours for night owls!
- Fitzroy Gardens are a sight not to be missed. With cooks cottage, plenty of space to lay back and gaze through the trees at the sky and ponder your day. It is the perfect spot to set up a picnic and relax. This may not sound like a reverting holiday exercise, however, watching the people that come and go around you will soon showcase its importance in Melbourne’s culture.
- Go for a drive up Mount Dandenong. Be dazzled by the spectacular views and breath in the fresh air and have a meal at the sky-high restaurant, looking out over the Melbourne city lights. Seeing the city and beyond from the tip of Mt Dandenong, is a great way to get perspective.
- Art and creativity is said to be a big part of Melbourne’s culture. Take the time to walk through a few of Melbourne’s smaller galleries and get a glimpse into the local works. Red Gallery in Fitzroy is a great place to start. It offers a space for contemporary artists and showcases a wide range of exhibitions throughout the year. Blackwood Gallery is another fantastic gallery, hosting amazing exhibitions from Ghostpatrol and like Melbourne artists.
- Take a night sky tour at the Royal Botanic Gardens at the Melbourne Observatory. The tour offers information on the moon, planets and constellations and will leave you wanting to know more!
There is a lot more to Melbourne than meets the eye. When you take time to step away from popular tourism spots to explore the things that define the people that occupy the city and immerse yourself in their culture you may find, that you never want to leave!
Make sure to also check out our Melbourne road trip graphic which also has some great tips when visiting, and to rent a car in Melbourne to get around the metro in ease and comfort.