A holiday in Australia can be an exciting experience. Most visitors to her great shores are unprepared for the sheer size of the country they intend to traverse. Many travellers’ plans have come unstuck thinking they can drive from Brisbane to Cairns in a day.
Australia’s vast 7.6 million square kilometres could house England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland a massive 31 times and still have a little left over.
Alpha Car Hire recommends you get your trip down pat in your head before you set off. There are many useful trip planners online who can help when organising a trip such as this.
Australian Road Rules Differ from other Countries
Whilst it is a given to expect a change in road rules from wherever you come from, it is important to be aware of the rules of the country in which you are driving.
The number one rule that may differ is to remember that Australians drive on the left hand side of the road. If this is unfamiliar to you, it is best to take your time when you first get behind the wheel, which will be on the right hand side of the car. Give yourself time to get the feel of where all the pedals and switches are. Everything will be backwards but an experienced driver will adapt quickly.
Other rules that must be adhered to include:
- Always wear a seat belt – even the passengers.
- An experienced driver’s blood alcohol should not go past 0.05 and a learner driver should not drink alcohol at all.
- When you come to a roundabout the traffic flows in a clockwise direction and exits to the left.
- Going faster than the posted speed limit is strictly prohibited.
- Due to the condition of the road or the weather, it can be necessary to slow down and drive to the conditions of the road. This may differ from the posted speed limit.
- Overtaking of vehicles is performed to the right.
- When pulling in front of large vehicles such as semi-trailers be aware that not only are they a heavy vehicle, they may be carrying a heavy load and will need more space to slow down.
- You must carry your driver’s licence with you. If it is not in English, it must be accompanied by an international driver’s licence.
- Driving in Comfort is Most Important on Long Trips
When considering reputable car hire, select something with your comfort in mind. Alpha Car Hire has a wide range of vehicles equipped to cope with long distance driving. A larger vehicle will give you space to stretch your legs and have a plusher seat to sink into.